name: mingwei
place: champaign, illinois
i will never be alone because
i have my dear.. =)


name: Grace & small donkey
place: berkeley, california
i will never be alone because
i have my donkey.. =)


the best and most beautiful things in the world
cannot be seen or even touched.
they must be felt with the heart.
*helen keller*

one sees clearly only with the heart.
anything eseential is invisible to the eyes.
*the little prince*

i believe,
i'll meet five people in heaven..
*xin, fuzzy immer*

i love..
grandpa, grandma, dad, mum, long, sis, minmin,
chungwoon, lala, waimun, fang, ying, eley,
darren, daniel, bernard, mark, mrs n., silei, csc,
small donkey, bear bear, big ear, lavender,
big donkey, fatso, big dolphin,
mingwei..

loving u is the rightest thing i ever did..
being loved by u is the greatest thing
ever done unto me..
loving u always..

courtesy, generousity, sincerity..
faith, love, hope.. and patience..
will be all that i wish for in the new year..
luv alwayz, xin

small donkey says hi! hee.. =)

Click for San Francisco, California Forecast Click for Berkeley, California Forecast

Click for Chicago, Illinois Forecast Click for Champaign, Illinois Forecast

Click for Singapore, Singapore Forecast

Click for Seoul City, South Korea Forecast

adopt your own virtual pet!
adopt your own virtual pet!


archives
Januar 2006
Februar 2006
März 2006
April 2006

previous posts
.::. hx2: settling down in berkeley .::.
.::. hx1: departing & arriving .::.
.::. flight details for SEP .::.
.::. welcome .::.

my shutterfly photobook
all of tattyxin's favourites..




Mittwoch, Januar 11, 2006

.::.mw1: settling down in Champaign.::.

Well, I had to take off tons of stuff I had before they let me into the airport at Oakland. Even my belt and my shoes, as well as take the laptop out of my bad. I took the Southwest plane to Chicago Midway, the flight lasted about 3 and a half hours, and it was a night flight, landing at around 1am there. The plane was a relatively small one, like those Silkair types, compared to the Korean 777s we sat previously. But there were so few people taking the flight! Everyone had 3 seats to lie in, and the plane looked like it could accomodate 3 times more sleeping passengers! But I guess domestic flights are usually like that. So, I went off to sleep and reached chicago airport.

Oh! did I mention that in Korea, when I was in the toilet at the airport, I barely closed the door before someone outside started rapping at it. And I mean rapping hard, in Singapore, I would call it banging the door. I was thinking, wat the hell? I thought anyone behind me could have seen that I just got in. But anyway I continued doing my stuff, and just before I went out, someone started banging the door again? It was very obvious it was my door, cos it was actually shaking. Now, wat would u guys have tot if u were in my position? Someone who wanted a cubicle when all are full? Some ruffian maybe? I was starting to think that its some korean custom to bang toilet doors when someone else was using them... Anyway, I opened the door, and guess wat? I think there were more than 4 empty cubicles and no queue of people outside!!! GHOST! Nah, if only it were a ghost, I saw the toilet cleaner, yes the toilet cleaner, banging the doors of other closed cubicles. Great huh? I love korea. Dumm customs.

The chicago airport was pretty big but there was this irritating announcement asking people to leave the terminal as its closed from 12midnight to 5am. (It was around 1am at the time) So, anyway I got 2 luggages + my bag, and where the hell was I supposed to go? I didn't even try going out, the temperature I think was close to negative so I just sat down and waited. (I was supposed to take the 6am bus by the way. That's 5 hours!) Anyway, I waited and waited, and about 2am (felt like 10 hours) there was only me and this other chinese looking guy in the terminal. So I went over and talked to him and incidently, he was also waiting for the same bus as me! Only he was taking the 3am bus. Now I had the option of waiting 3 more hours for my bus, or try getting on the 3am bus and risk freezing in Champaign because the bus will reach UIUC at 6am. I decided to take the risk =P

I reached the uni at 6am, and was locked out of the union. It opens at 7am.... wth... they won't even open the door to let us go in... Luckily, there was this small space in between the warmth and the cold, and I was just hanging around there. So it wasn't that bad. The place opened at around 645am (the security guard took pity on me, not the front desk staff, they're horrible in my opinion.) and I waited and walked around inside until 745am where I deemed it safe to go get my key. getting the key meant dragging my luggage a few blocks away in the cold and then dragging them to my room. Which is where I'm typing this post. Its alright actually, I was sweating by the time I reached both places. I have to wear a lot, and sweat cos its tiring with the luggages. Anyway, the apartment looks quite comfortable and I settled in quickly before going out to explore the place.
the freaking deserted street when i arrived
(yes i so boh liao I go take photo in the cold)

the place in between warmth and cold

My first night
The worst part happened at night. The window is closed but apparently, that does not stop wind from coming into the room. That sucks no? Plus there is a bloody open field in front of my window so I get a very good view and very strong winds. Now, there's central heating in my room, but for no reason, it wasn't working the night I came. I checked with my housemate next morning, and he said he was freezing too. But he had a heater and no window with a cold draft. Plus, I had no bedsheet, no blanket, no pillow. All I had were a few sweaters and my jacket, which I wore. I wore everything, the coldest were my feet and hands. I was wearing thermal pants and normal pants and the cold just went straight in... I had all my sweaters covering my feet and various positions of my legs and another for my hands (note my hands were in gloves...) And I thought, if I had to do this every night, im screwed. But I slept like a log, not surprising considering that I didn't had a bed for 48 hours. Huixin kept sleeping in the car when xiaotian was driving us around... she slept on the sofa in his house too... haha and i managed to keep myself awake to do the admin stuff in UIUC on the same day. Anyway, I'm going to seal the window, put so much duct tape that no wind can come in, I have no idea how the previous guy sleeps.... its freaking cold.

The next day, my housemate (only 1 of them was here last nite) told me the heater is probably spoilt. Heng ar, I tot i was going to die. But yeah I got all my necessary stuff for a good night's sleep now. Which is why, I'm going to sleep soon =P Another housemate moved in today, and he's from Austria! Probably speaks German, I haven't tried yet, he might not understand my powderful German hahaha. its 11pm, and good nite!

The Illini Union

Looks really great at night hor?

romancing @ 9:27 PM



Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.comGet awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com